Popular Posts

Monday, January 30, 2012

The Cyrene Privilege

..Loud and spitting people,
Cruel and frightful looking soldiers,
'Swish', the cane, time and time again!
Pandemonium, dust, anger, smell of blood.

Beaten man, battered man!
Heavy cross;They must really hate this guy.
I'll really hate to be him right now
All around; curses, stones, laughter, mockery.
What could he have really done to deserve all this?

Holy-looking pharisees,
Frightful looking followers; Crying women... this is crazy !

I should be on my way... WHAT!?
Me ? Take the cross ? Help him ? Why me ? Oh no!?
I was just passing, just watching ?!
I am out of luck!

This is really heavy! What could he have done to deserve this ?
How could he have anymore energy to lift this after all this beating and maiming?
Look at him - By God and the prophets, what has he done? Don't these people have pity?

Will I be able ? This Cross is weighing me down! I didn't bargain for this.
Its not mine to carry. This is killing me---all for someone I barely know.

This man... look at him...scarred, bloodied, hurt!
But the peace in his eyes, the humility in his step, the meekness in his pain, the determination in his countenance. He really believes he is up to something groundbreaking here.
This Jesus must be made out of stone!. Why is he doing this ? Why not just denounce and go his way ?
Why will he endure all this ? And go through all this ? Didnt I hear Pilate gave him a way out ?

He must really believe what he is doing.
He must really love his followers...
He must really really be committed to his cause and His Father.
I guess  helping him out is not that bad after all.
I suppose I can carry for a few metres , what he has carried a whole long way!
I think I can help this man, even if I was only forced to do it.
I think I will bear the weight, only if to give him some temporal respite.

I think I can do it.

I think i can; I know I should; Its the right thing to do ...

I always wondered what Simon of Cyrene thought when he was ordered to help Jesus carry his cross unto Calvary. I was gonna preach on this but i really cannot do it justice ...not at this time. So I just put down some disjoint thoughts.

History and the Bible don't give enough information about him for us to know if he was or wasn't a follower of Christ. Either way, he secures a very enviable place in my heart, as being the one man to have helped Jesus on his way to save me. I cant expound anymore on this but just say that, whatever his intentions were, and however it came to be that he was asked to help the King of Kings -  It was a privilege no one else in the world would ever  have again!

I would have loved to be Simon of Cyrene... I don't know about you.
But to carry the cross, endure the whip, the scorching sun, the dust, the dirt, the stones, and the curses.
I would have loved - if only for a short way off - to have helped my Saviour, as he toiled to save me.
I would have loved to be Simon of Cyrene, even if i didn't intend on being him from the start.

Maybe Simon didn't know the 'why', but I do.
Maybe Simon didn't want to try, but I would.
Maybe Simon wasn't sure of it all , but I  am.

I would have loved to help my Saviour, my redeemer, my king.
I would have been scared, but I would have loved to try...show him, how much he meant to me.
Such that if carrying that cross was all I could do , I would have carried it like a king carried a crown.

But wait! I think I still can!
I can still carry my cross - And be Simon in my own way...my own very small way.
I can bear the cross of the world, love my enemies, endure scorn for righteousness.
I think I still can stand for the right, and say no to wrong, and go against the tide.
I think I still can love my neighbour, help the needy, forgive my wrongdoers.
I think I can still carry the cross and follow my Jesus .
I might not be Simon, but I think I can still try to help Jesus , My Lord.

'Cos I know He did it for no one else but me.
'Cos I know the blood,the sweat, the tears....were shed for me.
'Cos I know he deserved it not, but bore it all.
And 'cos I know it was gonna be alright, come Easter Sunday.

Happy Easter.

SoP - April 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment